Digital and the SDGs: How technology can accelerate progress on the UN Sustainable Development Goals
Media accreditation and coverage of “SDG Digital” at United Nations Headquarters – 17 September 2023
On 17 September, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and partners will convene for SDG Digital at United Nations Headquarters in New York, with the support of the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) as knowledge partner.
SDG Digital will take stock of the global achievements, gaps and opportunities on how digital is supporting the 2030 Agenda and catalyse greater action on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by bringing data and digital technologies front and centre.
SDG Digital will be hosted by Doreen Bogdan-Martin, Secretary-General of ITU and Achim Steiner, Administrator of UNDP. H.E. Paul Kagame, President of Rwanda, will serve as a chair of the event.
FOR COVERAGE PLANNING
Date: Sunday, 17 September
Time: 10:15 to 16:30 EDT
Location: United Nations Headquarters (NY) ECOSOC Chamber and UNTV webcast.
RSVP: Journalists physically covering SDG Digital must submit media accreditation request with UNHQ by Friday, 1 September. (See information below.)
Media contact: [email protected]
Media accreditation information:
- Journalists not possessing a valid UNHQ media badge must apply for media accreditation through the UNHQ/MALU website. (When registering, choose “temporary pass” and provide a date range that includes the SDG Digital event on 17 September.)
- Journalists possessing a valid UNHQ media badge do not require additional accreditation.
- All media accreditation requests must be submitted to the UN Media Accreditation and Liaison Unit (MALU) by 1 September.
SDG Digital will take place on the eve of the 2023 SDG Summit hosted by the UN General Assembly to mark the mid-point for the 2030 Agenda. SDG Digital is part of SDG Action Weekend, which focuses on showcasing what is possible if the global community comes together to bring solutions for the Sustainable Development Goals to scale.
Related SDG Digital activities include:
- Release of the SDG Digital Acceleration Plan outlining steps, safeguards and collaborative efforts to bridge the gaps needed to deliver the 2030 Agenda.
- Announcement of new pledges and commitments for universal meaningful connectivity under the umbrella of the Partner2Connect Digital Coalition.
- Launch of UN Secretary-General’s High Impact Initiative on Digital Public Infrastructure, one of 12 High Impact Initiatives that the UN system is mobilizing in advance of the SDG Summit.
- SDG Digital website: www.itu.int/SDGdigital
UNHQ media accreditation website
(Deadline: 1 September): https://www.un.org/en/media/accreditation/request.shtml
- UNGA78 media info: https://www.un.org/en/media/accreditation/unga.shtml
- SDG Digital assets/digital media kit: https://trello.com/b/HLAq6Cd5/sdg-digital
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs), driving innovation in ICTs together with 193 Member States and a membership of over 900 companies, universities, and international and regional organizations. Established over 150 years ago, ITU is the intergovernmental body responsible for coordinating the shared global use of the radio spectrum, promoting international cooperation in assigning satellite orbits, improving communication infrastructure in the developing world, and establishing the worldwide standards that foster seamless interconnection of a vast range of communications systems. From broadband networks to cutting-edge wireless technologies, aeronautical and maritime navigation, radio astronomy, oceanographic and satellite-based earth monitoring as well as converging fixed-mobile phone, Internet and broadcasting technologies, ITU is committed to connecting the world. For more information, visit: www.itu.int
UNDP is the leading United Nations organization fighting to end the injustice of poverty, inequality, and climate change. Working with our broad network of experts and partners in 170 countries, we help nations to build integrated, lasting solutions for people and planet. Learn more at undp.org or follow at @UNDP.