Workshop on “Global Digital ICT Product Passport to achieve a Circular Economy”
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) in collaboration with UN Environment Programme (UN Environment), and ETSI are organizing a workshop on “Global Digital Product Passport to achieve a Circular Economy” on 1 June 2022 from 9h30 to 12h30 CEST/ Geneva time. The workshop is a side event of the European Union (EU) Green Week 2022.
Circular economy (CE) is a development priority of the EU and a central component of the European Green Deal, which aims to achieve climate neutral in the region by 2050. One of the main building blocks of the European Green Deal is the EU’s Circular Economy Action Plan and the introduction of digital product passports (DPPs).
DPPs store key data to improve traceability of products and encourage eco-design and sustainability through standardizing information on a product’s reusability, reparability, upgradability etc. ITU within ITU-T SG5 “EMF, environment, climate action, sustainable digitalization and circular economy” together with ETSI Technical Committee on Environmental Engineering are working on an international standard on “Requirements for a global digital sustainable product passport to achieve a circular economy”.
The objective of this Workshop is to examine the overarching concept of DPP and the requirements of DPP that are geared towards circularity.
The Workshop will bring together manufacturers, operators, policymakers, and other relevant stakeholders, and provide the ideal opportunity to discuss the latest development of DPPs, including the information and attributes that they should contain, and the role of international standards in facilitating its integration.
Participation is free of charge and open to all interested stakeholders including ITU Member States, Sector Members, Associates and Academic Institutions and to any individual from a country that is a member of ITU and who wishes to contribute to the work.
09:30 – 09:45
- Malcolm Johnson, Deputy Secretary General, ITU
- Luis Jorge Romero, Director General, ETSI
09:45 – 10:45
Session 1: The transition to a circular economy and the role of international standards
- Moderator: David Jensen, Coordinator, UNEP’s Digital Transformation Programme
- Paolo Gemma, ITU-T SG5 Woking Party Chairman and ETSI TC EE WG EEPS (Environmental affairs) Chairman
- Ilias Iakovidis, European Commission
- Leandro Navarro, Co-rapporteur of Q7/5 and Editor of Recommendation on “Requirements for a global digital sustainable product passport to achieve a circular economy”
- Questions & Answers
10:45 – 11:55
Session 2: Panel discussion on global digital sustainable product passport
- Moderator: Dominique Würges, Chairman of ITU-T Study Group 5, Environment, EMF and Circular Economy
11:55 – 12:25
Session 3: Interactive discussion with audience
- Moderators: Nevine Tewfik, Co-rapporteur of Q7/5 & Paolo Gemma, ITU-T SG5 Working Party Chairman
12:25 – 12:30
- Dominique Würges, Chairman of ITU-T Study Group 5, Environment, EMF and Circular Economy
- Beniamino Gorini, Chairman of ETSI TC EE