Technology as a Driver of Structural Transformation in the LDCs
The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the importance of agility and of harnessing the power of technology. Technologies such as artificial intelligence, big data and drones can help enterprises in the LDCs to enhance their productivity and competitiveness, and to move up the value chain ladder in agriculture, industry and the services sector. In the coming decade we need to ensure that technology is harvested appropriately as a driver of structural transformation in the LDCs.
Similarly, digital trade enhances the opportunity for SMEs to participate in global trade, and FinTech can help enhance their financial inclusion. By supporting traceability and trade facilitation, blockchain technology can help to enhance the transparency and trustworthiness of trade transactions at speed. Technology in agriculture can revolutionize systems and help adjust to the climate change impacts.
Join us to engage with experts and practitioners from global support initiatives and LDC experts who will explore modes through which the LDCs can achieve structural transformation by harnessing the power of technology and trade, and also outline how the LDCs can best access capacity building initiatives in technology for trade.
The session will be moderated by Dr Ratnakar Adhikari, Executive Director, Executive Secretariat for the Enhanced Integrated Framework at the WTO. Speakers will include:
- Mr Joshua Setipa, Managing Director, United Nations Technology Bank for Least Developed Countries;
- Dr Bernardo Calzadilla-Sarmiento, Managing Director, Directorate of Digitalization, Technology and Agri-Business; and Director, Department of Digitalization, Technology and Innovation, United Nations Industrial Development Organization;
- Dr Fahmida Khatun, Executive Director, Centre for Policy Dialogue, Bangladesh;
- Ms Dorothy Tuma, Former Chair of the East Africa Women in Business platform; and
- Dr. Maxwell Otim Onapa, Director, Science, Research and Innovation, Government of Uganda
Jul 28, 2021 08:15 AM in Eastern Time (US and Canada)