Working at the national, regional, and global levels, our efforts help countries to:
- Comprehend options to address macro-level development challenges
- Achieve beneficial integration into the international trading system
- Diversify economies to make them less dependent on commodities
- Limit their exposure to financial volatility and debt
- Attract investment and make it more development-friendly
- Increase access to digital technologies
- Promote entrepreneurship and innovation
- Help local firms move up value chains
- Speed up the flow of goods across borders
- Protect consumers from abuse
- Curb regulations that stifle competition
- Adapt to climate change and use natural resources more effectively
This episode of the Weekly Tradecast looks at digitalization and its future with Torbjörn Fredriksson, head of UNCTAD’s e-commerce and digital economy branch.
Technology is transforming every aspect of our lives – how we work, eat, shop, travel and interact.
If done right and governed well, e-commerce and the digital economy can drive growth, innovation, development and better use of our resources.
But the growing digital divides threaten to worsen inequality. Many developing countries are already falling behind.
With such heavy reliance on technology, what are the implications for our privacy, our safety and our rights?
Tune into Torbjörn Fredriksson to find out why the way we shape digitalization is so important for development and our future.